[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Jens Rosenboom j.rosenboom at x-ion.de
Fri Apr 10 08:34:44 UTC 2015

> I mentioned this in my email in the previous thread, but I am also
> concerned about the use of the Linux bridge plugin as the default for
> devstack.
>
> It will reflect poorly on the Neutron project because we are defaulting to
> something that gets almost no development effort and that is not even gated
> on (other than unit tests). This is a risky move that can damage first-time
> users' opinions of the viability of OpenStack. I wouldn't feel confident
> about something that has defaults that could be broken at any time... even
> during a release.

​Well, this is part of the motivation behind this patch. If the default is
Linuxbridge, that is what
is being used in all the gate testing unless it it being explictly
overridden.​

> Can someone point me to the list of complaints about OVS? I would rather
> invest time in addressing those issues rather than ignoring everything a
> good chunk of the neutron community has spent significant time on.
>
> If OVS really is a non-starter because of lack of tooling and lack of
> deployer experience, we (the neutron community) will need to put
> significantly more efforts into automated testing and feature parity (e.g.
> re-implement DVR).

​The idea is to make the entry level for using neutron networking as low as
possible. Currently starting
with neutron implicitly also requires starting with OVS, which is adding
complexity that in a significant
amount of environments is not needed. This probably includes most of the
deployments that still cling to
using nova-network, but also people looking at OpenStack for the first
time.

Since DVR is not enabled by default anyway (or is it?), I don't think that
it will be much of an issue
if enabling it will now require changing two settings instead of one. ​

​But having that as a second step
after having done a successful initial deployment, will be a much better
experience for most users than
having them fail in their first contact with neutron already.​