[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 09:02:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 10:34:44AM +0200, Jens Rosenboom wrote:

[. . .]

> > Can someone point me to the list of complaints about OVS? I would rather
> > invest time in addressing those issues rather than ignoring everything a
> > good chunk of the neutron community has spent significant time on.
> >
> > If OVS really is a non-starter because of lack of tooling and lack of
> > deployer experience, we (the neutron community) will need to put
> > significantly more efforts into automated testing and feature parity (e.g.
> > re-implement DVR).
> >
> ​The idea is to make the entry level for using neutron networking
> as low as possible. Currently starting with neutron implicitly also
> requires starting with OVS, which is adding complexity that in a
> significant amount of environments is not needed. This probably
> includes most of the deployments that still cling to using
> nova-network, but also people looking at OpenStack for the first time.

FWIW, I've been running with DevStack + Neutron (and OVS) for more than a few
months and it's certainly not "significantly complex" at all.

Once you have a minimal config enabled in your DevStack like that

    ENABLED_SERVICES=g-api,g-reg,key,n-api,n-cpu,n-sch,n-cond,mysql,rabbit,dstat,quantum,q-svc,q-agt,q-dhcp,q-l3,q-meta

Invoke DevStack script:

    $ make stack
    . . .
    # DevStack successfully configured.

Set the Neutron gateway for its router:

    $ neutron router-gateway-set $ROUTER_ID $PUB_NET

    [You get the values of the above variables running these two
    commands: 'neutron net-list', 'neutron router-list']

Add security group rules to enable ping and ssh:

    $ neutron security-group-rule-create --protocol icmp \
        --direction ingress --remote-ip-prefix 0.0.0.0/0 default
    $ neutron security-group-rule-create --protocol tcp  \
        --port-range-min 22 --port-range-max 22 --direction ingress default

You're now ready to boot your instances w/ Neutron + OVS.

Some convenient notes here:

    http://kashyapc.com/2015/03/17/minimal-devstack-with-openstack-neutron-networking/

FWIW, I run also multi-node DevStack environments with Neutron too.

It just takes a few invocations to get used to, IME.

[. . .]

--
/kashyap