[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 07:31:44 UTC 2015

I mentioned this in my email in the previous thread, but I am also
concerned about the use of the Linux bridge plugin as the default for
devstack.

It will reflect poorly on the Neutron project because we are defaulting to
something that gets almost no development effort and that is not even gated
on (other than unit tests). This is a risky move that can damage first-time
users' opinions of the viability of OpenStack. I wouldn't feel confident
about something that has defaults that could be broken at any time... even
during a release.

Can someone point me to the list of complaints about OVS? I would rather
invest time in addressing those issues rather than ignoring everything a
good chunk of the neutron community has spent significant time on.

If OVS really is a non-starter because of lack of tooling and lack of
deployer experience, we (the neutron community) will need to put
significantly more efforts into automated testing and feature parity (e.g.
re-implement DVR).