[openstack-dev] [Nova] Concrete Proposal for Keeping V2 API

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 14:16:55 UTC 2014

On 03/05/2014 08:52 AM, Christopher Lefelhocz wrote:
> I like this plan as it addresses my primary concern of getting deployments
> comfortable with the transition.
>
> We don't mention SDKs in the plan.  It seems like getting at least one SDK
> to use v3 would provide us additional data in the transition.  There is
> clear risk associated with that, but it may help to work out any
> additional issues that crop up.

I think this plan is mostly about ensuring we don't drown in this
transition.  We're focusing on lowering our maintenance cost so that the
transition to the new API can happen more naturally.

I think SDK support is critical for the success of v3 long term.  I
expect most people are using the APIs through one of the major SDKs, so
v3 won't take off until that happens.  I think our top priority in Nova
to help ensure this happens is to provide top notch documentation on the
v3 API, as well as all of the differences between v2 and v3.

--
Russell Bryant