[openstack-dev] [hacking] rules for removal

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 12:04:23 UTC 2014

On 25/06/14 12:59, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 06/25/2014 03:56 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
>> Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> writes:

>>> Absolutely, and I try and be clear about that with e.g. "not a
>>> -1" or "if you're rebasing anyway, perhaps fix this".
>>
>> Perhaps the problem is the round-trips such corrections imply?
>>
>> In the Mercurial project we accept contributions sent as patches
>> only. There it's common for the core developers to fix the commit
>> message locally before importing a patch. That makes it quick to
>> fix these problems and I think that this workflow puts less work
>> on the core maintainers.
>>
>> With Gerrit, it seems that simply fixing the commit message in
>> the web interface could work. I know that a patch submitter can
>> update it online, but I don't know if (core) reviewers can also
>> just update it?
>
> Anyone can actually upload a 2nd patch, which includes changing
> the commit message. We just mostly have a culture of not rewriting
> people's patches, for better or worse.

That can even be achieved thru Gerrit WebUI. There's a button for
this. But it's not about culture only. If you update commit message
for another guy, and then he needs to update the patch due to
comments, he will need to fetch your patch to his workspace and amend
it, instead of amending what he has in his local repo. This is
inconvenient.