[openstack-dev] [hacking] rules for removal

Martin Geisler martin at geisler.net
Thu Jun 26 07:06:04 UTC 2014

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> writes:

> On 06/25/2014 07:53 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
>> Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> writes:
>>
>> I've only submitted some small trivial patches. As far as I could
>> tell, Gerrit triggered a full test cycle when I just changed the
>> commit message. That surprised me and made the reviews more
>> time-consuming, especially because Jenkins would fail fairly often
>> because of what looks like heisenbugs to me.
>
> We track them here - http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/ -
> help always appreciated in fixing them. Most of them are actually race
> conditions that exist in OpenStack.

I should have said that I did meet that page. I tried looking for a
relevant bug, but I didn't manage to match the error messages I with the
known bugs.

I just counted the mails from Jenkins and I see 61 mails with "build
succeeded" and 12 mails with build failed. This is for patches that only
touch a comment line in the beginning of the file:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:martin%2540geisler.net,n,z

That looks like a 20% failure rate. Is this normal or have I been extra
unlucky? :)

> I think optimizing the zuul path for commit message only changes would
> be useful. Today the pipeline only knows that there was a change.
> That's not something anyone's gotten around to yet.

Okay, thanks for the explanation.

--
Martin Geisler

http://google.com/+MartinGeisler