[openstack-dev] [hacking] rules for removal

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 19:13:30 UTC 2014

On 06/22/2014 09:41 AM, Amrith Kumar wrote:
> In addition to making changes to the hacking rules, why don't we mandate also
> that perceived problems in the commit message shall not be an acceptable
> reason to -1 a change.
>
> Would this improve the situation?

I actually *do* think a very poor commit message for a substantial patch
deserves a -1. The git commit message is our history for the patch, and
it is important in its own right. Now, nits like a single misspelled
word or the commit summary being 60 characters instead of 50 are not
what I'm talking about, of course.

I'm speaking only about when a commit message blatantly disregards the
best practices of commit message writing [1] and doesn't offer anything
of value to the reviewer.

Best,
-jay

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages