[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] ceilometer unit tests broke because of a nova patch

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Feb 4 10:01:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 03 2014, Joe Gordon wrote:

>> We know, Ceilometer has been broken several times because of that in the
>> past months. We know we shouldn't do that, but for now we don't have
>> enough work force to work on a batter solution unfortunately.
>
> Does this issue mean Ceilometer won't work for the most literal
> definition of continuous deployment?

They are tests intercepting the issue, so I don't think that invalidate
the use of CD.

> Has this ever been a problem in the stable branches?

It has been a problem only because we were referencing nova-master in
test-requirements, but changing it to the reference the same version as
Ceilometer (e.g. havana) fixed it.

> Whats the underlying problem here? nova notifications aren't
> versioned?  Nova should try to support ceilometer's use case so it
> sounds like there is may be a nova issue in here as well.

Oh you're far from it.

Long story short, the problem is that when an instance is detroyed, we
need to poll one last time for its CPU, IO, etc statistics to send them
to Ceilometer. The only way we found to do that in Nova is to plug a
special notification driver that intercepts the deletion notification in
Nova, run the pollsters, and then returns to Nova execution.

--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker * independent consultant