[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] ceilometer unit tests broke because of a nova patch

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 18:13:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:28 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30 2014, Joe Gordon wrote:
>
> Hi Joe,
>
>> While looking at gate failures trying to improve our classification
>> rate I stumbled across this:
>>
>> http://logs.openstack.org/50/67850/5/gate/gate-ceilometer-python26/8fd55b6/console.html
>>
>> It appears that ceilometer is pulling in the nova repo
>> (http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ceilometer/tree/test-requirements.txt#n8)
>> and running tests against non-contractual (private) APIs. This means
>> that nova will occasionally break ceilometer unit tests.
>
> /me pat Joe on the back :)
>
> We know, Ceilometer has been broken several times because of that in the
> past months. We know we shouldn't do that, but for now we don't have
> enough work force to work on a batter solution unfortunately.

Does this issue mean Ceilometer won't work for the most literal
definition of continuous deployment?

Has this ever been a problem in the stable branches?

> A fix has been proposed and I approved it.
>
> I don't know how to prevent that. We don't want to block Nova for making
> internal changes, as we're not doing something supported in Ceilometer.

Whats the underlying problem here? nova notifications aren't
versioned?  Nova should try to support ceilometer's use case so it
sounds like there is may be a nova issue in here as well.