[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] ceilometer unit tests broke because of a nova patch

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 21:07:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03 2014, Joe Gordon wrote:
>
>>> We know, Ceilometer has been broken several times because of that in the
>>> past months. We know we shouldn't do that, but for now we don't have
>>> enough work force to work on a batter solution unfortunately.
>>
>> Does this issue mean Ceilometer won't rwork for the most literal
>> definition of continuous deployment?
>
> They are tests intercepting the issue, so I don't think that invalidate
> the use of CD.
>
>> Has this ever been a problem in the stable branches?
>
> It has been a problem only because we were referencing nova-master in
> test-requirements, but changing it to the reference the same version as
> Ceilometer (e.g. havana) fixed it.
>
>> Whats the underlying problem here? nova notifications aren't
>> versioned?  Nova should try to support ceilometer's use case so it
>> sounds like there is may be a nova issue in here as well.
>
> Oh you're far from it.
>
> Long story short, the problem is that when an instance is detroyed, we
> need to poll one last time for its CPU, IO, etc statistics to send them
> to Ceilometer. The only way we found to do that in Nova is to plug a
> special notification driver that intercepts the deletion notification in
> Nova, run the pollsters, and then returns to Nova execution.

Ceilometer running a plugin in nova is bad (for all the reasons
previously discussed), this broke ceilometer for in Havana
(https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReleaseNotes/Havana#Known_Issues_7).
So what can nova do to help this?  It sounds like you have a valid use
case that nova should support without requiring a plugin.