[openstack-dev] FreeBSD/bhyve support for nova with libvirt

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 18:41:13 UTC 2014

On 04/01/2014 02:22 PM, Michał Dubiel wrote:
> OK, thanks Russell and Daniel for your suggestions.
>
> Stackforge sounds reasonable for the time being, though it's not perfect
> as it doesn't prevent from occasional conflicts we may hit while pulling
> changes from the original Nova repository to our clone.
>
> An example is code that is not pure additions, but changes to the
> existing Nova source code (for instance libvirt vif driver calls
> directly code from linux_net module, which should be abstracted out, and
> proper for the given platform implementation should be used
> automatically). This sort of problems apply to the entire FreeBSD
> platform regardless which one: bhyve or qemu is used.

I think the changes to use proper abstraction are things we could accept
now.  That's just cleaning up the code and will make it easier for you
to maintain your additoins.

> Nevertheless, I'll create a repo there, which will act as a codebase for
> development of the missing features till the all required for Nova merge
> are in place.

If you go the route of doing a fork of all of Nova, I would not use
stackforge.  The workflow on stackforge just isn't going to work when
you need to sync with the latest Nova changes.  If you go that route, i
would just suggest a git repo somewhere else (github or whatever).

If you're able to trim things down such that it's just a set of files
added to Nova, you could probably use Stackforge.

> Last question. May we expect review help while the code is in the
> Stackforge, or we have to wait until all features are finished and it's
> accepted to be reviewed in Nova repo?

Using stackforge is beneficial because you get some increased visibility
and you use the same development workflow as all openstack projects.  It
would at least facilitate getting others involved that are interested in
this.

As for more "official" Nova review from nova-core, it's unlikely, unless
someone takes a specific interest in the code.

However, just like we're doing here, I (and others) are happy to help
discuss the project's direction and approach to help make sure it ends
up in a state that Nova is happy with.

--
Russell Bryant