[openstack-dev] FreeBSD/bhyve support for nova with libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 07:59:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 08:22:37PM +0200, Michał Dubiel wrote:
> OK, thanks Russell and Daniel for your suggestions.
>
> Stackforge sounds reasonable for the time being, though it's not perfect as
> it doesn't prevent from occasional conflicts we may hit while pulling
> changes from the original Nova repository to our clone.
>
> An example is code that is not pure additions, but changes to the existing
> Nova source code (for instance libvirt vif driver calls directly code from
> linux_net module, which should be abstracted out, and proper for the given
> platform implementation should be used automatically). This sort of
> problems apply to the entire FreeBSD platform regardless which one: bhyve
> or qemu is used.

If you have a need todo general refactoring like that, then I'd suggest
those particular patches could actually be submitted straight to Nova
mainline, since they are valid/useful for multiple libvirt platforms,
even ignoring bhyve. Just have the stuff that's truly bhyve / FreeBSD
specific in your separate tree. That should hopefully reduce the amount
of pain you encur.

So in this example, you could introduce the abstraction layer for the
networking setup APIs into mainline GIT, and update libvirt / linux_net
code to work with it. Then just have the bhyve + freebsd networking
stuff in your separate repo.

> Last question. May we expect review help while the code is in the
> Stackforge, or we have to wait until all features are finished and it's
> accepted to be reviewed in Nova repo?

Given our general code review overload I think it is unlikely you'll
get any frequent / detailed code review, except for refactoring bits
you submit to nova git directly. As libvirt maintainer though, I'd
be happy to take a look at what you are developing and offer advice
and high level review to make sure you are heading in a direction
that it sensible for the eventual nova merge.

Regards,
Daniel