[openstack-dev] Announce of Rally - benchmarking system for OpenStack

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 12:11:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> Is it easy ? No... it is hard, whether in an integrated test suite or on
> its own
> Can it be solved ?  Yes, we have done incredible things with the current
> QA infrastructure
> Should it be split off from other testing ? No, I want EVERY commit to
> have this check. Performance through benchmarking at scale is fundamental.
>
> Integration with the current process mean all code has to pass the bar...
> a new project makes it optional and therefore makes the users do the
> debugging... just the kind of thing that drives those users away...

Tim, we already have a very basic gating test to check for degraded
performance (large-ops test in tempest).  Does it have all the issues
listed below? Yes, this doesn't detect a minor performance degradation, it
doesn't work on RAX cloud (slower VMs) et cetera. But its a start.

After debugging the issues with nova-networking / rootwrap (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo/+bug/1199433,
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/38000/) that caused nova to timeout when
booting just 50 instances, I added a test to boot up n (n=150 in gate)
instances at once using the fake virt driver.  We are now gating on the
nova-network version and are getting ready to enable gate on the neutron
version too.

The tests are pretty fast too:

gate-tempest-devstack-vm-large-ops SUCCESS in 13m 44s
gate-tempest-devstack-vm-neutron-large-ops SUCCESS in 16m 09s (non-voting)

best,
Joe