[openstack-dev] Announce of Rally - benchmarking system for OpenStack

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Mon Oct 21 00:15:01 UTC 2013

On 10/20/2013 03:03 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 21 October 2013 07:36, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There's several issues involved in doing automated regression checking for
>> benchmarks:
>>
>> - You need a platform which is stable. Right now all our CI runs on
>> virtualized instances, and I don't think there's any particular guarantee
>> it'll be the same underlying hardware, further virtualized systems tend to
>> be very noisy and not give you the stability you need.
>> - You need your benchmarks to be very high precision, if you really want to
>> rule out regressions of more than N% without a lot of false positives.
>> - You need more than just checks on individual builds, you need long term
>> trend checking - 100 1% regressions are worse than a single 50% regression.
> Let me offer a couple more key things:
>   - you need a platform that is representative of your deployments:
> 1000 physical hypervisors have rather different checkin patterns than
> 1 qemu hypervisor.
>   - you need a workload that is representative of your deployments:
> 10000 VM's spread over 500 physical hypervisors routing traffic
> through one neutron software switch will have rather different load
> characteristics than 5 qemu vm's in a kvm vm hosted all in one
> configuration.
>
> neither the platform - # of components, their configuration, etc, nor
> the workload in devstack-gate are representative of production
> deployments of any except the most modest clouds. Thats fine -
> devstack-gate to date has been about base functionality, not digging
> down into race conditions.
>
> I think having a dedicated tool aimed at:
>   - setting up *many different* production-like environments and running
>   - many production-like workloads and
>   - reporting back which ones work and which ones don't
>
> makes a huge amount of sense.
>
> from the reports from that tool we can craft targeted unit test or
> isolated functional tests to capture the problem and prevent it
> worsening or regressing (once fixed). See for instance Joe Gordons'
> fake hypervisor which is great for targeted testing.
>
> That said, I also agree with the sentiment expressed that the
> workload-driving portion of Rally doesn't seem different enough to
> Tempest to warrant being separate; it seems to me that Rally could be
> built like this:
>
> - a thing that does deployments spread out over a phase space of configurations
> - instrumentation for deployments that permit the data visibility
> needed to analyse problems
> - tests for tempest that stress a deployment
>
> So the single-button-push Rally would:
>   - take a set of hardware
>   - in a loop
>   - deploy a configuration, run Tempest, report data
>
> That would reuse Tempest and still be a single button push data
> gathering thing, and if Tempest isn't capable of generating enough
> concurrency/load [for a single test - ignore parallel execution of
> [...]
I don't think this is an issue for Tempest. The existing stress tests do
exactly that, but without the gathering of performance data at this
point. I think my initial negative reaction to adding the new
functionality to tempest was our old friend the core reviewer issue. It
is already the case that being a core reviewer in tempest covers a lot
of ground. But on second thought the tempest stress stuff would be
better off having these capabilities.

Speaking of stress tests, at present the tempest stress tests run
nightly. Should we consider adding 1/2 hour's worth or so in another
gate job? Since the stress tests fail if there are log errors, we first
have to allow the gate to fail if there are errors in the logs after
successful runs. I have been working on it  and should be ready to do
that post-summit
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/fail-gate-on-log-errors.

  -David