[openstack-dev] [scheduler] APIs for Smart Resource Placement - Updated Instance Group Model and API extension model - WIP Draft

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Thu Oct 10 06:11:15 UTC 2013

Thanks for the pointer -- was not able to attend that meeting,
unfortunately. Couple of observations, based on what I've heard till now.
1. I think it is important not to restrict the discussion to Nova
resources. So, I like the general direction in [1] to target a generic
mechanism and API. However, once we start following that path, it becomes
more challenging to figure out which component should manage those
cross-resource constructs (Heat sounds like a reasonable candidate --
which seems consistent with the proposal at [2]), and what should be the
API between it and the services deciding on the actual placement of
individual resources (nova, cinder, neutron).
2. Moreover, we should take into account that we may need to take into
consideration multiple sources of topology -- physical (maybe provided by
Ironic, affecting availability -- hosts, racks, etc), virtual-compute
(provided by Nova, affecting resource isolation -- mainly hosts),
virtual-network (affecting connectivity and bandwidth/latency.. think of
SDN policies enforcing routing and QoS almost orthogonally to physical
topology), virtual-storage (affecting VM-to-volume connectivity and
bandwidth/latency.. think of FC network implying topology different than
the physical one and the IP network one).

I wonder whether we will be able to come up with a simple-enough initial
approach & implementation, which would not limit the ability to extend &
customize it going forward to cover all the above.

Regards,
Alex

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17OIiBoIavih-1y4zzK0oXyI66529f-7JTCVj-BcXURA/edit

[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/PolicyExtension

Alex Glikson
Manager, Cloud Operating System Technologies, IBM Haifa Research Lab
http://w3.haifa.ibm.com/dept/stt/cloud_sys.html |
http://www.research.ibm.com/haifa/dept/stt/cloud_sys.shtml
Email: glikson at il.ibm.com | Phone: +972-4-8281085 | Mobile:
+972-54-6466667 | Fax: +972-4-8296112