[openstack-dev] [scheduler] APIs for Smart Resource Placement - Updated Instance Group Model and API extension model - WIP Draft

Debojyoti Dutta ddutta at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 21:19:22 UTC 2013

Alex, agree with your comments. I think we need to think of both 1.
and 2. as the eventual outcome and the destination. IF we decide to
improve upon scheduling/polices at the heat level, that should be a
very nice and independent endeavor and we can all learn from it. I
dont think we can design this all upfront.

IMO the simple enough road is to do
1. simple resource group extension and show how it can be used to
specify groups of resources - no matter what you do on top of this,
you will need to specify groups of resources (e.g. API proposal from
Yathi/Garyk/Mike/Me)
2. have policies which can be simple scheduler hints for now
3. have some notion of intelligent scheduling (a simple example is a
solver scheduler)
4. have some notion of fast state management (like Boris' proposal)

Ref:
[api] https://docs.google.com/document/d/17OIiBoIavih-1y4zzK0oXyI66529f-7JTCVj-BcXURA/edit
[overall] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IiPI0sfaWb1bdYiMWzAAx0HYR6UqzOan_Utgml5W1HI/edit

debo

Mike: I agree with most of your ideas of extensions to
heat/policies/ordering/dependencies etc but I wish we could start with
a simple API from the nova side that will grow into a cross services
thing while you could start from the Heat side and then eventually
come to teh same midpoint. I somehow feel we are almost there wrt the
1st cut of the API \cite{api}.

-Debo~