[openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related requirements & roadmap

Tim Schnell tim.schnell at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Nov 26 22:44:45 UTC 2013

On 11/26/13 4:16 PM, "Steve Baker" <sbaker at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>how
>> to display the parameters for input to the end-user. This is so that all
>> parameters related to some database resource can be intelligently
>>grouped
>> together. In addition to grouping these parameters together, there
>>should
>> be a method to ensuring that the order within the group of parameters
>>can
>> be explicitly stated. This way, the client can return a group of
>>database
>> parameters and the template author can indicate that the database
>>instance
>> name should be first, then the username, then the password, instead of
>> that group being returned in a random order.
>>
>> 	Parameters:
>> 		db_name:
>> 			group: db
>> 			order: 0
>> 		db_username:
>> 			group: db
>> 			order: 1
>> 		db_password:
>> 			group: db
>> 			order: 2
>> 		web_node_name:
>> 			group: web_node
>> 			order: 0
>> 		keypair:
>> 			group: web_node
>> 			order: 1
>>
>> These are the use cases that have been clearly defined. The original
>> purpose of the metadata section was to "future-proof" (I say
>>future-proof,
>> you say pre-optimize ;) ) rapid iterations to potential client design.
>>The
>> intent of the strategy was so that we did not overburden the Heat Core
>> team with requirements that may fluctuate or change as we attempt to
>> improve the user experience of Heat for the community. In hindsight I
>>can
>> see how that intent was misconstrued and may have come off as
>> condescending and I apologize for that.
>We *need* a solution for grouping and ordering in horizon for generating
>the parameter fields. All that is being done currently (I think) is
>sorting by mandatory, then parameter name, which often pushes important
>parameters to the bottom of the screen. I'd prefer explicit attributes
>rather than inferring from a special parser that preserves the order of
>parameters in the template. The parameter fields are built from the
>results of a template-validate call.
>
>Also, a group should really have its own order and description to
>display, so we may need a new top-level section, eg
>parameter-groups:
>  db:
>    order: 1
>  web_node:
>    order: 0
>parameters:
>  # as above
>
>A template-validate call would need to return all the group and ordering
>information, but otherwise heat can ignore this extra data.

I agree with all of your modifications, although bringing up the
template-validate call reminded me that the implementation of this use
case should also imply a new REST endpoint specifically for returning
parameters. It seems like the current implementation in Horizon is a bit
hack-y by calling template-validate instead of something like
"get-parameters".