[openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related requirements & roadmap

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 22:16:59 UTC 2013

On 11/27/2013 10:24 AM, Tim Schnell wrote:
> So the originally question that I attempted to pose was, "Can we add a
> schema-less metadata section to the template that can be used for a
> variety of purposes?". It looks like the answer is no, we need to discuss
> the features that would go in the metadata section and add them to the HOT
> specification if they are viable. I don't necessarily agree with this
> answer but I accept it as viable and take responsibility for the
> long-winded process that it took to get to this point.
>
> I think some valid points have been made and I have re-focused my efforts
> into the following proposed solution.
>
> I am fine with getting rid of the concept of a schema-less metadata
> section. If we can arrive at a workable design for a few use cases then I
> think that we won't need to discuss any of the options that Zane mentioned
> for handling the metadata section, comments, separate file, or in the
> template body.
>
> Use Case #1
> I see valid value in being able to group templates based on a type or
> keyword. This would allow any client, Horizon or a Template Catalog
> service, to better organize and handle display options for an end-user.
>
> I believe that Ladislav initially proposed a solution that will work here.
> So I will second a proposal that we add a new top-level field to the HOT
> specification called "keywords" that contains this template type.
>
> 	keywords: wordpress, mysql, etcŠ
+1, but lets make the most of yaml and give it structure:
keywords: [wordpress, mysql, lamp]
keywords:
- wordpress
- mysql
- lamp

> Use Case #2
> The template author should also be able to explicitly define a help string
> that is distinct and separate from the description of an individual
> parameter. An example where this use case originated was with Nova
> Keypairs. The description of a keypair parameter might be something like,
> "This is the name of a nova key pair that will be used to ssh to the
> compute instance." A help string for this same parameter would be, "To
> learn more about nova keypairs click on this help article."
>
> I propose adding an additional field to the parameter definition:
>
> 	Parameters:
> 		<parameter name>:
> ssh to the compute instance.
> 			help: To learn more about nova key pairs click on this <a
> href="/some/url/">help article</a>.
+1, this could be used today in the stack create screens of horizon.

> Use Case #3
> Grouping parameters would help the client make smarter decisions about how
> to display the parameters for input to the end-user. This is so that all
> parameters related to some database resource can be intelligently grouped
> together. In addition to grouping these parameters together, there should
> be a method to ensuring that the order within the group of parameters can
> be explicitly stated. This way, the client can return a group of database
> parameters and the template author can indicate that the database instance
> name should be first, then the username, then the password, instead of
> that group being returned in a random order.
>
> 	Parameters:
> 		db_name:
> 			group: db
> 			order: 0
> 		db_username:
> 			group: db
> 			order: 1
> 		db_password:
> 			group: db
> 			order: 2
> 		web_node_name:
> 			group: web_node
> 			order: 0
> 		keypair:
> 			group: web_node
> 			order: 1
>
> These are the use cases that have been clearly defined. The original
> purpose of the metadata section was to "future-proof" (I say future-proof,
> you say pre-optimize ;) ) rapid iterations to potential client design. The
> intent of the strategy was so that we did not overburden the Heat Core
> team with requirements that may fluctuate or change as we attempt to
> improve the user experience of Heat for the community. In hindsight I can
> see how that intent was misconstrued and may have come off as
> condescending and I apologize for that.
We *need* a solution for grouping and ordering in horizon for generating
the parameter fields. All that is being done currently (I think) is
sorting by mandatory, then parameter name, which often pushes important
parameters to the bottom of the screen. I'd prefer explicit attributes
rather than inferring from a special parser that preserves the order of
parameters in the template. The parameter fields are built from the
results of a template-validate call.

Also, a group should really have its own order and description to
display, so we may need a new top-level section, eg
parameter-groups:
  db:
    order: 1
  web_node:
    order: 0
parameters:
  # as above

A template-validate call would need to return all the group and ordering
information, but otherwise heat can ignore this extra data.
> I think that these proposed use cases will add real value to Heat and
> would require only changes to the HOT specification. If these are
> acceptable please let me know and I will drop the existing blueprint and
> patches in favor of something that implements this design. If there are
> issues to discuss here please suggest alternative solutions so that we can
> continue to move forward with these improvements.
I think there are 3 potential blueprints here which all have merit. I
struck use cases #2 and #3 when I was working on heat horizon, so these
would have immediate benefit to a real open-source heat UI.
> [...]
>> Put it in a comment.
>>
>>> information to be available for a deployed stack in Heat, so it is need
>>> not be catalog specific.  If author/creation-date information were only
>> If it needs to be available for a deployed stack (you haven't made an
>> argument for this yet) then add it into the template-proper. If Heat
>> needs to read it then some sort of wild-west schemaless metadata area is
>> definitely not the place to put it.
>>
>> Alternately, maybe we need to look at storing templates in such a way
>> that the comments are preserved. I would definitely look favourably on a
>> blueprint to that effect.
>>
>>> available in the catalog, then we would have to entirely wrap the Heat
>>> API
>>> in another service or risk drift in the data between Heat and the
>>> separate
>>> non-wrapping catalog service. Instead of raising a blueprint for every
>>> piece of data that may be useful to deploying this service (some of
>>> which
>> Please don't raise a blueprint for every patch. e.g. a feature and its
>> documentation
>> (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/update-stack-metadata-spec)
>> are not two blueprints.
>>
>>> certain folks may not care about [e.g. Many of the folks arguing against
>>> metadata all together], the in-template metadata is, IMO, a suitable
>>> approach to experiment and then we can drive back experiential use-cases
>>> into future improvements (e.g. in-language schema changes or catalog
>>> changes).  At Rackspace we have experience running a nearly identical
>>> service, so we know this data, in this particular place, is a valid use
>>> case for consumers of an Orchestration service.
>>> Example:
>>> (1) Cloud customer of service operator deploys a template (may or may
>>> not
>>> have come from the catalog)
>> If it didn't come from the catalog provided by the operator, what are
>> the chances that it contains this information anyway? How is the average
>> template author going to know about the schema for the metadata read by
>> your proprietary tool?
>>
>>> (2) Customer encounters problem with the stack and calls support
>>> (3) Support specialist [not the service operator/developer] is trying to
>>> figure out who to contact for additional help given failures seen with
>>> the
>>> stack. The dev team of the service is not the expert in application foo
>>> and did not develop the template. It's not a Heat issue, it's a
>>> template/application foo issue.
>> This sounds like a good argument for Heat preserving comments.
>>
>>> Having this detail come from Glance, as you pointed out, would be great.
>>> But, my hope is that many folks will develop and share templates, and
>>> the
>>> folks developing templates won't necessarily be running glance or have
>>> access to upload their own images into glance (that is a service
>>> choice).  If we force this basic info to glance, we are limiting our