[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hypervisor CI requirement and deprecation plan

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 26 16:49:43 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:07:02 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> [...]

Good to know about the service tags, I think I remember being broken at
some point after those tempest.conf.sample changes. :)

My overall concern, and I think the other guys doing this for virt
drivers will agree, is trying to scope down the exposure to unrelated
failures.  For example, if there is a bug in swift breaking the gate,
it could start breaking the nova virt driver CI as well.  When things
get bad in the gate, it takes some monstrous effort to rally people
across the projects to come together to unblock it (like what Joe
Gordon was doing last week).

I'm running Tempest internally about once per day when we rebase code
with the community and that's to cover running with the PowerVM driver
for nova, Storwize driver for cinder, OVS for neutron, with qpid and
DB2.  We're running almost a full run except for the third party boto
tests and swift API tests.  The thing is, when something fails, I have
to figure out if it's environmental (infra), a problem with tempest
(think instability with neutron in the gate), a configuration issue, or
a code bug.  That's a lot for one person to have to cover, even a small
team.  That's why at some points we just have to ignore/exclude tests
that continuously fail but we can't figure out (think intermittent gate
breaker bugs that are open for months).  Now multiply this out across
all the nova virt drivers, the neutron plugins and I'm assuming at some
point the various glance backends and cinder drivers (haven't heard if
they are planning on the same types of CI requirements yet).  I think
either we're going to have a lot of flaky/instable driver CI going on
so the scores can't be trusted, or we're going to develop a lot of
people that get really good at infra/QA (which would be a plus in the
long-run, but maybe not what those teams set out to be).

I don't have any good answers, I'm just trying to raise the issue since
this is complicated.  I think it's also hard for people that aren't
forced to invest in infra/QA on a daily basis to understand and
appreciate the amount of effort it takes just to keep the wheels
spinning, so I want to keep expectations at a reasonable level.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with requiring third party CI
for the various vendor-specific drivers and plugins, that's a
no-brainer for openstack to scale.  I think it will just be very
interesting to see the kinds of results coming out of all of these
disconnected teams come icehouse-3.

Matt Riedemann