[openstack-dev] [Nova] Drop the Amazon specific flavor prefix "m1." from OpenStack flavor names

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 13:48:11 UTC 2013

On 11/26/2013 03:06 AM, Rohan Kanade wrote:
> This is regarding the bug  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1161988
>
> I think we should drop the Amazon specific flavor prefix "m1."  from
> OpenStack flavor names
> because they have no meaning in OpenStack where each deployment uses
> different hardware.
>
> Amazon has the M1 prefix to denote high memory, and it also denotes that
> the instance created from M1 instance types are based on Intel Xeon
> processors.
> https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/#instance-details
>

> Which is not at all the case with OpenStack, hence i think we should
> remove the prefixes from the Flavors. The only reason i see to keep the
> prefix is if we are going to create some association between the flavor
> prefixes and the type of hardware used or some special characteristics
> provided with for that prefix (high mem, high cpu).

I think the general convention of using a prefix to indicate some class
of flavors is well established and understood, so in general I don't
like the idea of making our defaults not have a prefix.

I'm also not seeing a compelling reason to change to a different prefix.
 It's just the defaults, and I imagine most people configure their own
flavors for a production deployment anyway.

--
Russell Bryant