[openstack-dev] [Nova] Drop the Amazon specific flavor prefix "m1." from OpenStack flavor names

Rohan Kanade openstack at rohankanade.com
Tue Nov 26 08:06:17 UTC 2013

This is regarding the bug  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1161988

I think we should drop the Amazon specific flavor prefix "m1."  from
OpenStack flavor names
because they have no meaning in OpenStack where each deployment uses
different hardware.

Amazon has the M1 prefix to denote high memory, and it also denotes that
the instance created from M1 instance types are based on Intel Xeon
processors.
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/#instance-details

Which is not at all the case with OpenStack, hence i think we should remove
the prefixes from the Flavors. The only reason i see to keep the prefix is
if we are going to create some association between the flavor prefixes and
the type of hardware used or some special characteristics provided with for
that prefix (high mem, high cpu).

Regards,
Rohan Kanade