[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Infra] Support for PCI Passthrough

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Nov 22 19:43:05 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-22 08:59:16 +0000 (+0000), Tan, Lin wrote:
[...]
> Our module only works on the compute node that enables VT-d and
> contains special PCIs which support the SR-IOV.
>
> So is it possible to
>
> 1. setup compute node which enables pci passthrough.
>
> 2. modify the testing schedule logic allow the pci testing case
> be scheduled to that machine
[...]

If you're asking about our official test infrastructure for the
OpenStack project, I believe this is infeasible for now. We
currently perform testing within generic virtual machines provided
by HPCloud and Rackspace, so the Nova compute nodes we build and
test are already running under virtualization and in turn manage
only paravirtualized QEMU instances.

In the near term, your best bet is to run your own test
infrastructure supporting the hardware features you require and
report advisory results back on proposed changes:

    http://ci.openstack.org/third_party.html

For a longer term solution, you may want to consult with the TripleO
project with regards to their bare-metal test plan:

    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TripleO/TripleOCloud

--
Jeremy Stanley