[openstack-dev] FreeBSD hypervisor (bhyve) driver

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 15:46:19 UTC 2013

On 11/22/2013 10:43 AM, Rafał Jaworowski wrote:
> Russell,
> First, thank you for the whiteboard input regarding the blueprint for
> FreeBSD hypervisor nova driver:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/freebsd-compute-node
>
> We were considering libvirt support for bhyve hypervisor as well, only
> wouldn't want to do this as the first approach for FreeBSD+OpenStack
> integration. We'd rather bring bhyve bindings for libvirt later as
> another integration option.
>
> For FreeBSD host support a native hypervisor driver is important and
> desired long-term and we would like to have it anyways. Among things
> to consider are the following:
> - libvirt package is additional (non-OpenStack), external dependency
> (maintained in the 'ports' collection, not included in base system),
> while native API (via libvmmapi.so library) is integral part of the
> base system.
> - libvirt license is LGPL, which might be an important aspect for some users.

That's perfectly fine if you want to go that route as a first step.
However, that doesn't mean it's appropriate for merging into Nova.
Unless there are strong technical justifications for why this approach
should be taken, I would probably turn down this driver until you were
able to go the libvirt route.

--
Russell Bryant