[openstack-dev] FreeBSD hypervisor (bhyve) driver

Rafał Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Mon Nov 25 11:28:18 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 10:43 AM, Rafał Jaworowski wrote:
>> Russell,
>> First, thank you for the whiteboard input regarding the blueprint for
>> FreeBSD hypervisor nova driver:
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/freebsd-compute-node
>>
>> We were considering libvirt support for bhyve hypervisor as well, only
>> wouldn't want to do this as the first approach for FreeBSD+OpenStack
>> integration. We'd rather bring bhyve bindings for libvirt later as
>> another integration option.
>>
>> For FreeBSD host support a native hypervisor driver is important and
>> desired long-term and we would like to have it anyways. Among things
>> to consider are the following:
>> - libvirt package is additional (non-OpenStack), external dependency
>> (maintained in the 'ports' collection, not included in base system),
>> while native API (via libvmmapi.so library) is integral part of the
>> base system.
>> - libvirt license is LGPL, which might be an important aspect for some users.
>
> That's perfectly fine if you want to go that route as a first step.
> However, that doesn't mean it's appropriate for merging into Nova.
> Unless there are strong technical justifications for why this approach
> should be taken, I would probably turn down this driver until you were
> able to go the libvirt route.

So just to clarify: the native driver for another hypervisor (bhyve)
would not be accepted into Nova even if it met testing coverage
criteria? As I said the libvirt route is an option we consider, but we
would like to have the possibility of a native FreeBSD api integration
as well, similar to what you can have for non-libvirt hypervisor apis
available already in Nova.

Rafal