[openstack-dev] FreeBSD hypervisor (bhyve) driver

Rafał Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Fri Nov 22 15:43:40 UTC 2013

Russell,
First, thank you for the whiteboard input regarding the blueprint for
FreeBSD hypervisor nova driver:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/freebsd-compute-node

We were considering libvirt support for bhyve hypervisor as well, only
wouldn't want to do this as the first approach for FreeBSD+OpenStack
integration. We'd rather bring bhyve bindings for libvirt later as
another integration option.

For FreeBSD host support a native hypervisor driver is important and
desired long-term and we would like to have it anyways. Among things
to consider are the following:
- libvirt package is additional (non-OpenStack), external dependency
(maintained in the 'ports' collection, not included in base system),
while native API (via libvmmapi.so library) is integral part of the
base system.
- libvirt license is LGPL, which might be an important aspect for some users.

Rafal