[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] L7 rules design

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Fri Nov 22 15:23:43 UTC 2013

Hi Avishay, lbaas folks,

I've reviewed the wiki and have some questions/suggestions:

1) Looks like L7Policy is lacking 'name' attribute in it's description.
However i see little benefit of having a name for this object
2) lbaas-related neutron client commands start with lb-, please fix this.
3) How does L7Policy specifies relation of vip and pool?
4) How default pool will be associated with the vip? Will it be a l7 rule
of special kind?
It is not quite clear what does mean associating vip with pool with policy
if each rule in the policy contains 'SelectedPool' attribute.
5) what is 'action'? What other actions except SELECT_POOL can be?

In fact my suggestion will be slightly different:
- Instead of having L7Policy which i believe serves only to rules grouping,
we introduce VipPoolAssociation as follows:

VipPoolAssociation
     id,
     vip_id,
     pool_id,
     default - boolean flag for default pool for the vip

L7Rule then will have vippoolassociation_id (it's better to shorten the
attr name) just like it has policy_id in your proposal. L7Rule doesn't need
SelectedPool attribute since once it attached to VipPoolAssociation, the
rule then points to the pool with pool_id of that association.
In other words, VipPoolAssociation is almost the same as L7Policy but named
closer to it's primary goal of associating vips and pools.

I would also suggest to add add/delete-rule operation for the association.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Eugene.