[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving oslo-incubator update.py

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 19:58:19 UTC 2013

Hello.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

>    1) Store the commit sha from which the module was copied from.

I would suggest we don't duplicate this in every project's repo. It is
possible to find using the contents of the modules currently in project's
repo the corresponding commit from oslo-incubator (see [1] for a hint, feel
free to ask me about Git details). So there's no need to store this
information in a separate file.

   2) Add an 'auto-commit' parameter to the update script that will
>    generate a commit message with the short log of the commits where
>    the modules being updated were modified. Soemthing like:
>
>        Syncing oslo-incubator modules
>
>        log.py:
>            commit1: short-message
>            commit2: short-message
>            commit3: short-message
>
>        lockutils:
>            commit4: short-message
>            commit5: short-message

The script can use this information as well to get the last synced commit
for each module. We should to agree to use this format for all commit
messages and make commit detection easier.

I would drop the colon though to make it look like the usual 'git log
--oneline' output.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/223678/which-commit-has-this-blob

--

Kind regards, Yuriy.