[openstack-dev] Search Project - summit follow up

Dmitri Zimin(e) | StackStorm dz at stackstorm.com
Fri Nov 22 00:05:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Dmitri Zimin(e) | StackStorm <
> dz at stackstorm.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Terry for highlighting this:
>>
>> Yes, tenant isolation is the must. It's not reflected in the prototype -
>> it queries Solr directly; but the proper implementation will go through the
>> query API service, where ACL will be applied.
>>
>> UX folks are welcome to comment on expected queries.
>>
>> I think the key benefit of cross-resource index over querying DBs is that
>> it saves the clients from implementing complex queries case by case,
>> leaving flexibility to the user.
>>

> I question the need for this service, as this service **should** very much
> be dependent on the clients for this functionality. Expecting to query
> backends directly must be a misunderstanding somewhere... Start with a
> specification for filtering across all services and advocate for it on both
> existing and new APIs.

Dolph, thanks for the suggestion: we will begin drafting the API on the
wiki.

Just to be clear: this is not filtering. Existing filtering APIs are
[getting] sufficient. This is a full text search, which doesn't exist yet.

SWIFT is now considering Search API, ideologically similar, but limited to
Object Storage metadata [1]. Search middleware can make it generic and
extensible. And yes, middleware may be a better term, as this is not a
"service" like nova or cinder, but a layer on top.

Do we need to clarify where search middleware shall live?
Or do we question wether there is the need for search functionality?

What else shall we do to make the discussion forward?

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/019014.html