[openstack-dev] Search Project - summit follow up

Lyle, David david.lyle at hp.com
Thu Nov 21 22:19:44 UTC 2013

> On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:12 PM
> Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Dmitri Zimin(e) | StackStorm
>> <dz at stackstorm.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Terry for highlighting this:
>>
>> Yes, tenant isolation is the must. It's not reflected in the prototype - it
>> queries Solr directly; but the proper implementation will go through the
>> query API service, where ACL will be applied.
>>
>> UX folks are welcome to comment on expected queries.
>>
>> I think the key benefit of cross-resource index over querying DBs is that it
>> saves the clients from implementing complex queries case by case, leaving
>> flexibility to the user.
>
> I question the need for this service, as this service **should** very much be
> dependent on the clients for this functionality. Expecting to query backends
> directly must be a misunderstanding somewhere... Start with a specification
> for filtering across all services and advocate for it on both existing and new
> APIs.

First, I am all in favor of extensive and common filtering across services in OpenStack.  Any improvements there  would be extremely useful.

The benefit of a specific search service is an exhaustive list of all resources in the stack where any field in the data is queryable.  So names, ids, IPs, etc. So as an admin knowing one piece of data, I can get results across services that may match.  It returns data I may have known about, but also data I may have overlooked.  When purging a project, I can find all resources tied to that project.  Same for a user, or IP.  It's the difference between needing to know where to look for every piece of data vs knowing a piece of data and being able to do something useful with it.  The performance and usability difference is huge.

>> -- Dmitri.
>>

> --
>
> -Dolph

As mentioned before, this has to be guarded by role based access controls, which is not a trivial addition, knowing what piece of data is available to whom.

And maintaining up-to-date data is also a lingering question.

-David