[openstack-dev] Propose "project story wiki" idea

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 21 09:43:31 UTC 2013

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 09:33 PM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
>> The idea of this proposal is that every OpenStack project should have
>> "story" wiki page. It means to publish every week one short message that
>> contains most interesting updates for the last week, and high level road
>> map for future week. So reading this for 10-15 minutes you can see what
>> changed in project, and get better understanding of high level road map
>> of the project.
>
> I like the idea.
>
> I have received requests to include high level summaries from all
> projects in the weekly newsletter but it's quite impossible for me to do
> that as I don't have enough understanding of each project to extrapolate
> the significant news from the noise. [...]

This is an interesting point. From various discussions I had with people
over the last year, the thing the development community is really really
after is weekly technical news that would cover updates from major
projects as well as deep dives into new features, tech conference CFPs,
etc. The reference in the area (and only example I have) is LWN
(lwn.net) and their awesome weekly coverage of what happens in Linux
kernel development and beyond.

The trick is, such coverage requires editors with a deep technical
knowledge, both to be able to determine significant news from marketing
noise *and* to be able to deep dive into a new feature and make an
article out of it that makes a good read for developers or OpenStack
deployers. It's also a full-time job, even if some of those deep-dive
articles could just be contributed by their developers.

LWN is an exception rather than the rule in the tech press. It would be
absolutely awesome if we managed to build something like it to cover
OpenStack, but finding the right people (the right skill set + the will
and the time to do it) will be, I fear, extremely difficult.

Thoughts ? Volunteers ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)