[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Nov 14 19:21:31 UTC 2013

On 11/14/2013 09:03 AM, David Ripton wrote:
> I don't think it's worth the bother.  openstack-dev would still receive
> most of the traffic.  Once you add back the traffic from people
> cross-posting, posting to the wrong list, yelling at people
> cross-posting or posting to the wrong list, etc. I'd expect
> openstack-dev's traffic to stay about the same.  It'll just be one more
> list for most of us to subscribe to.

I think you're right. Given the amount of people that replied saying
that they would subscribe to both lists anyway I think we should think
about this a bit more.

Since we are getting very good at marking subject lines with explicit
topics, would it make sense to suggest people to filter stackforge and
related projects based on subjects?

> The thing that would help with message volume would be splitting
> openstack-dev by subproject.

We already have a mechanism in place with mailman topics and, despite
the limitations of mailman, I think they did a pretty good job at
teaching people to add a tag to the subject line. I think that's a
pretty solid way to filter messages to this list.

I am concerned a lot about off topic traffic though. I think we have to
be a lot more strict and redirect questions that are not about the
*future* of OpenStack development to the General list or Ask OpenStack.

/stef