[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list

David Ripton dripton at redhat.com
Thu Nov 14 17:03:07 UTC 2013

On 11/14/2013 08:21 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14 2013, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
>> Thoughts ?
>
> I agree on the need to split, the traffic is getting huge.
>
> As I'd have to subscribe to both openstack-dev and stackforge-dev, that
> would not help me personally, but I think it can be an easy and first
> step.

I don't think it's worth the bother.  openstack-dev would still receive
most of the traffic.  Once you add back the traffic from people
cross-posting, posting to the wrong list, yelling at people
cross-posting or posting to the wrong list, etc. I'd expect
openstack-dev's traffic to stay about the same.  It'll just be one more
list for most of us to subscribe to.

The thing that would help with message volume would be splitting
openstack-dev by subproject.  (Except for those who would need to follow
most of the projects, who would still get just as much mail plus the
extra noise from people posting wrong.)

David Ripton   Red Hat   dripton at redhat.com