[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 19:52:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>wrote:

> On 11/14/2013 09:03 AM, David Ripton wrote:
> > I don't think it's worth the bother.  openstack-dev would still receive
> > most of the traffic.  Once you add back the traffic from people
> > cross-posting, posting to the wrong list, yelling at people
> > cross-posting or posting to the wrong list, etc. I'd expect
> > openstack-dev's traffic to stay about the same.  It'll just be one more
> > list for most of us to subscribe to.
>
> I think you're right. Given the amount of people that replied saying
> that they would subscribe to both lists anyway I think we should think
> about this a bit more.

FWIW I would not subscribe to both, while I am interested in watching the
progress of stackforge projects there are only so many hours in the day.

> Since we are getting very good at marking subject lines with explicit
> topics, would it make sense to suggest people to filter stackforge and
> related projects based on subjects?

This may be a silly question, but what is the best way to filter out
stackforge and related projects? Should I make a local filter and whitelist
all integrated projects?

> > The thing that would help with message volume would be splitting
> > openstack-dev by subproject.
>
> We already have a mechanism in place with mailman topics and, despite
> the limitations of mailman, I think they did a pretty good job at
> teaching people to add a tag to the subject line. I think that's a
> pretty solid way to filter messages to this list.

> I am concerned a lot about off topic traffic though. I think we have to
> be a lot more strict and redirect questions that are not about the
> *future* of OpenStack development to the General list or Ask OpenStack.

+1, to being stricter about this.  Did you just volunteer to be the off
topic czar?