[openstack-dev] [qa] Policy on spelling and grammar

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Nov 11 22:19:41 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2013 02:28 PM, Tim Bell wrote:

> As a speaker of the Queen's English, I find flavor to be incorrect. Does that mean I can -1 any patch that does not use flavour ?
>
> At CERN, we are working with 130 countries in a single community. The value of the contribution of non-english speakers far exceeds the occasional misunderstandings.
>
> Giving grammar/spellings -1 excludes major sections of the community from contribution.
>
> As our aim is meritocracy (in python, computer architecture and design rather than spelling), I'd propose
>
> - If someone identifies a need for clarification/correction as part of a review, they also submit the replacement text rather than just -1.
> - The submitter incorporates that change into a patch

Agreed. If anyone -1s a patch for English, it better have a complete
word for word set of replacement text as part of that review.

Also, grammar eventually becomes the eye of the beholder, and personal
preference, and regional difference, and style, and.... there are a lot
of variables here. The heated debate over whether or not a period ends a
commit subject shows how gray that is (I honestly only hold firm to
keeping that no-period rule in hacking so people would stop -1ing over
it, because there were actually opposing -1 wars over adding / removing
that period).

So unless it's actually getting in the way of the contribution being
understood in the future, I'd much rather people leave '0' scored
comments with the grammar / spelling micro-nits.

There is a real reason for that, many of us with a lot of reviews
completely purge anything with a -1. If you score things with a '0'
review, core reviewers will still look at the code. But I'd hate to have
this giant gauntlet of grammar before the code is getting looked at by
+2ers. That seems a pretty high discouragement to new non native English
speakers.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague