[openstack-dev] [qa] Policy on spelling and grammar

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 22:39:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 11/11/2013 02:28 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
> >
> > As a speaker of the Queen's English, I find flavor to be incorrect. Does
> that mean I can -1 any patch that does not use flavour ?
> >
> > At CERN, we are working with 130 countries in a single community. The
> value of the contribution of non-english speakers far exceeds the
> occasional misunderstandings.
> >
> > Giving grammar/spellings -1 excludes major sections of the community
> from contribution.
> >
> > As our aim is meritocracy (in python, computer architecture and design
> rather than spelling), I'd propose
> >
> > - If someone identifies a need for clarification/correction as part of a
> review, they also submit the replacement text rather than just -1.
> > - The submitter incorporates that change into a patch

When it comes to commit messages, I generally will -1 for any spelling
mistake or confusing phrasing in the first line of the commit message, but
will let a typo that doesn't hurt the readability of the commit message
slide in the remainder of the commit message (while pointing it out and
mentioning to fix it if a respin is required).  And will always -1 a patch
if the phrasing is so poor that I cannot understand the commit message.