[openstack-dev] [Nova] Configuration validation

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 22:12:30 UTC 2013

On Nov 11, 2013 9:53 AM, "Russell Bryant" <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/11/2013 07:38 AM, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
> > On 11/11/13 12:55, John Garbutt wrote:
> >> I like the idea of a more general config validation phase to help
> >> people when first starting out.
> >>
> >> My worry is that it would slow down the starting back up of servers
> >> for people deploying their code using CI, where the have already
> >> verified their configuration. But maybe its so fast I don't care, but
> >> I just felt I should raise that.
> >>

> > Thanks John,
> >
> > This is a valid point that makes me think that there might be some
> > upgrade implications to such an approach that we might want to consider
> > also.
>
> I like the idea of doing it during service startup.  I'd like to
> actually see that it's painfully slow and must be separate before
> assuming that's the answer.  I really can't image it taking that long.
> It's not a complex algorithm.  It's some sanity checks on combinations
> of config values.

++  to doing it in service startup. Taking a step back I can see a user
making two types of mistakes:

* Set duplicate or nonexistent options.
* set an invalid mix of settings.

The first category should be a generic standalone tool, in fact there is a
proof of concept in nova/tools
The second category, the type being discussed here, should be done at
service startup.