[openstack-dev] [Nova] Configuration validation

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Tue Nov 12 14:37:27 UTC 2013

On 11 November 2013 22:12, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2013 9:53 AM, "Russell Bryant" <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Thanks John,
>> >
>> > This is a valid point that makes me think that there might be some
>> > upgrade implications to such an approach that we might want to consider
>> > also.
>>
>> I like the idea of doing it during service startup.  I'd like to
>> actually see that it's painfully slow and must be separate before
>> assuming that's the answer.  I really can't image it taking that long.
>> It's not a complex algorithm.  It's some sanity checks on combinations
>> of config values.

+1 this is what I meant really.

> ++  to doing it in service startup. Taking a step back I can see a user
> making two types of mistakes:
>
> * Set duplicate or nonexistent options.
> * set an invalid mix of settings.
>
> The first category should be a generic standalone tool, in fact there is a
> proof of concept in nova/tools
> The second category, the type being discussed here, should be done at
> service startup.

I think Joe has it here, there are two categories:
* the quick stuff, that we might be able to encode in the flag definition
* the slow stuff, that we will want as a standalone thing, maybe
something like "nova-manage config-check"

By slow stuff I mean things like ping glance, check its version, ping
vCenter, etc.

John