[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Cinder] Criteria for core nominations

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu May 9 16:46:46 UTC 2013

All,

Given the recent activity regarding core nominations to Cinder and some of
the numbers people have brought up regarding reviews etc, I wanted to take
a minute to give my thoughts on the subject and how things like core
nominations have been handled in Cinder.

One of the key attributes of Cinder is the vendor activity in the form of
driver contributions.  This is fantastic and I'm glad the interest is
there.  Driver contributions and maintenance however IMO don't equate to
being a core team member.

We've been very picky (maybe too picky in some peoples opinion) on the
Cinder team regarding core nominations and votes.  We're looking at a lot
more than just the review numbers, we also consider or course the quality
of the reviews, code contributions to the core project, activity in IRC
discussions regarding the overall project and it's direction.

In other words it's an aggregate of all participation factors with an
emphasis on the core parts of Cinder.

One of the things that's been pointed out recently is that perhaps I don't
use the ML enough to convey what's going on in Cinder, so this is my first
attempt at trying to fix that a bit.

Thanks,
John