[openstack-dev] Pinning deps at RC1 (was: pyparsing 2.0 postmortem)

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 13:45:13 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 14:14 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Sean Dague wrote:
> > I think that for sure we need to pin in stable branches, otherwise it's
> > pretty bad bit rot.
>
> About that: when we discussed this at the last Summit, the plan was to
> pin all dependencies as part of the plan to produce RC1. Something like
> running a script that would propose a change automatically translating
> the current state into pinning, and apply that to milestone-proposed
> just after it's cut, just before we tag RC1.

Right. I went ahead and wrote that script and then we realized this is
actually a really bad idea:

  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2012-November/002075.html

i.e. the reasons we didn't do it on stable/folsom apply equally to
grizzly.

The issue is that pinning to a specific version in setup.py
install_requires severely limits what our releases can be installed on.

What we want is a solution that limits the version range to the minimum
required version and some unknown, future version which is likely to
have incompatible changes. The discussion on distutils-sig is mostly
about figuring out how to do that. It's hard, but I think we're making
progress.

Cheers,
Mark.