[openstack-dev] [Heat] Autoscaling and the Rackspace Otter project

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Thu Jun 13 08:36:26 UTC 2013

Angus Salkeld <asalkeld at redhat.com> wrote on 13.06.2013 02:44:53:

> From: Angus Salkeld <asalkeld at redhat.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org,
> Date: 13.06.2013 02:50
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] Autoscaling and the Rackspace
> Otter project
>
> On 12/06/13 22:42 +0000, Randall Burt wrote:
> >
> >On Jun 12, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Christopher Armstrong
> <chris.armstrong at rackspace.com<mailto:chris.armstrong at rackspace.com>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >I believe the consensus is that the work on the new HOT format and
> underlying design changes is a prerequisite for the autoscaling work
> that Thomas and I are to do, so we'll definitely help with that.
> I'll let someone with a better understanding chime in about that.
> >
> >I would like to have some more details around that dependency as
> well. Is there something specific we should be focused on around HOT
> that would facilitate easier Otter->Heat AS transition?
> >

> Seems odd that AS is dependant on the template format. I would have
> thought that you could just make a native resource type for the new
> autoscaler and we could start using it, then migrating the AWS style
> one over too. I agree the AWS autoscaling resource might not be able to
> make full use of the awesomeness of our new one but that's ok.

Yes, it would be desireable to use this (maybe not the full feature set)
independent of the template format.
With respect to HOT, I am happy to dive into some investigation how to best
surface this in the template in a nice consumable way.
I plan to have the code for a hello world kind of HOT template ready in the
next few days (takes me longer than I wanted, but since I am new to OS and
Heat development, it takes me some time), and then we can build on that.

Are there any samples in whatever format that show how metadata would look
like?