[openstack-dev] [Heat] Autoscaling and the Rackspace Otter project

Thomas Hervé th at rackspace.com
Thu Jun 13 16:58:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Angus Salkeld <asalkeld at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/06/13 22:42 +0000, Randall Burt wrote:
>

>> On Jun 12, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Christopher Armstrong <
>> chris.armstrong at rackspace.com**<mailto:chris.armstrong@**rackspace.com<chris.armstrong at rackspace.com>
>> >>

>> wrote:
>>
>> I believe the consensus is that the work on the new HOT format and
>> underlying design changes is a prerequisite for the autoscaling work that
>> Thomas and I are to do, so we'll definitely help with that. I'll let
>> someone with a better understanding chime in about that.
>>
>> I would like to have some more details around that dependency as well. Is
>> there something specific we should be focused on around HOT that would
>> facilitate easier Otter->Heat AS transition?
>>

> Seems odd that AS is dependant on the template format. I would have
> thought that you could just make a native resource type for the new
> autoscaler and we could start using it, then migrating the AWS style
> one over too. I agree the AWS autoscaling resource might not be able to
> make full use of the awesomeness of our new one but that's ok.

It's not about making it dependent on the template format, but rather
making independent of any template. Right now resources and stack are
pretty tied together, and I'm hoping the new DSL will separate things up a
bit. Otter doesn't have a template system but drives resources directly via
the API, and I think it'll be easier to see if it's possible once we move
away from CFN, if it makes sense. We're still evaluating how that will
work, though.

--
THomas