[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Metering] Metadata on Meter table - use cases from StackTach ...

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 21:43:56 UTC 2013

On 29/01/13 14:31 +0000, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>Here is a little video I put together to explain the StackTach data model and some of the use cases we faced to get meaningful info out of the system.
>
>I did this to re-kick the discussion around metadata on the Meter table in Ceilometer.
>
>We're going to need rich indexing on the metadata and there's going to be a lot of data, will the currently proposed scheme work or will we need to introduce custom Meters to solve the problem?
>
>(Currently we're at 10-12 million rows for 90+ days of raw notifications from our RAX deployment. This is all running on a single 2G instance with Apache, MySql, StackTach and the Workers all running on the same box)
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-zd0GW9eY0
>
>Initial thoughts on the RichMeter approach (before learning about the Dimension/Metadata table proposal): http://wiki.openstack.org/RichMeters

Nice walk through, I need to try digest how that is all going to fit together.

It initially seems to me that there is a new entity "Notification/TracePoint"?
They don't really seem like meters, and it might make sense to just model
correctly rather than trying to squeeze them into meters.

So we could have:
Resources
-> Meters
-> Notifications

Immediately stuff the notifications into the db, and either inline or in parallel
generate the meters from the notifications. I suppose another option is to have
calculated Meters that only get created on request. So you ask for the request
duration for resource X and it calculates the Meter samples on the fly from the
notifications - or not, just thinking out aloud:)

This way we could have simple Meters and rich notification history? Also add that
as a first class entity to the API.

Notification might be a bit of generic name for this maybe TracePoint?

-Angus