[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Metering] Metadata on Meter table - use cases from StackTach ...

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jan 29 14:31:43 UTC 2013

Here is a little video I put together to explain the StackTach data model and some of the use cases we faced to get meaningful info out of the system.

I did this to re-kick the discussion around metadata on the Meter table in Ceilometer.

We're going to need rich indexing on the metadata and there's going to be a lot of data, will the currently proposed scheme work or will we need to introduce custom Meters to solve the problem?

(Currently we're at 10-12 million rows for 90+ days of raw notifications from our RAX deployment. This is all running on a single 2G instance with Apache, MySql, StackTach and the Workers all running on the same box)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-zd0GW9eY0

Initial thoughts on the RichMeter approach (before learning about the Dimension/Metadata table proposal): http://wiki.openstack.org/RichMeters

Hope it helps!
-S