[openstack-dev] Need for a String Freeze for documenters/translators

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Jan 25 15:58:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > I agree with it in principal. I think complete translations are
> > important and the only way to achieve that at release time is to stop
> > changing them soon enough to give translators a reasonable chance to do
> > their thing.
>
> Note that this is not just about translation, but also about
> documentation. It's difficult to write doc when error messages or option
> names continue to change until the last minute.

Yes, this does help, but does not make docs more complete or easier to
finish sooner on its own. We've still got 20+ undocumented Grizzly features
that we're tracking (10+ more possibilities that haven't landed in code).
[1] For all the releases so far, we haven't simultaneously released
documentation since it just wasn't nearly complete enough.

Also want to raise my hand and say a doc freeze for translations must be
separate from this code string freeze.

Now hungry for some ice cream,
Anne

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals?field.searchtext=grizzly