[openstack-dev] Need for a String Freeze for documenters/translators

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 25 14:33:51 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> I agree with it in principal. I think complete translations are
> important and the only way to achieve that at release time is to stop
> changing them soon enough to give translators a reasonable chance to do
> their thing.

Note that this is not just about translation, but also about
documentation. It's difficult to write doc when error messages or option
names continue to change until the last minute.

> [...]
> Finally, if there's a string freeze then there also needs to be a
> process for approving freeze breaks. Sometimes you can't fix a serious
> bug without changing a string and that has to be allowed.

Yes, all freezes come with an exception procedure. It can be as simple
as sending an email to the list, or requiring a comment on a bug. The
goal is to make sure we make user-visible changes for a good reason, and
that all the downstream stakeholders are aware of that particular
exception.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack