[openstack-dev] Need for a String Freeze for documenters/translators

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 14:14:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 02:28:56PM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the last design summit we discussed the need for introducing a String
> Freeze in our development cycle. It was decided to propose it in time on
> the ML, so here it goes.
>
> A String Freeze is a deadline for submitting changes that affect
> translatable strings (log messages) or documentation (think config
> option names, user-visible changes).
>
> Under String Freeze, changing those requires an exception process (tbd)
> that involves properly warning documenters and translators about it, and
> making sure the change is worth the extra hassle imposed on them.
>
> Is it a good idea ? Is it solving a real problem ? Should it happen at
> the same time a FeatureFreeze (February 19), or slightly afterwards
> (like March 5, one month before final release) ?

For strings that we intend to be visible to end users of OpenStack
I think a string freeze would be worthwhile to ensure we get 100%
coverage.

The problem is that, for some reason we seem to like translating
every single random adhoc debug log message too. So a string freeze
on those log messages, effectively implies a code freeze at the
smae time.

Pretty much any other project I've worked on has taken the approach
that debug messages should be just left untranslated. Translation of
debug log messages creates an absolutely enourmous pile of ever changing
work for translators for little to no benefit to end users. I view
log debug messages as something intended for developers and vendor
support people and for them it is much better if the log messages
are in English only.  If I get a bug report from someone who runs
in a French locale, I'm not going to be able to give them any useful
assistance if all their debug logs they provide are in French.

IMHO, LOG.error/warn/info can be marked for translation, since those
are used for scenarios where we are trying to alert the sysadmin to
something, but LOG.debug should be left untranslated as they are for
vendors/developers primarily.

In other words, if we remove translation from all LOG.debug() messages,
I'd be fine with a string freeze on what's left.

Regards,
Daniel