[openstack-dev] Need for a String Freeze for documenters/translators

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 25 14:39:08 UTC 2013

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> For strings that we intend to be visible to end users of OpenStack
> I think a string freeze would be worthwhile to ensure we get 100%
> coverage.
>
> The problem is that, for some reason we seem to like translating
> every single random adhoc debug log message too. So a string freeze
> on those log messages, effectively implies a code freeze at the
> smae time.
>
> Pretty much any other project I've worked on has taken the approach
> that debug messages should be just left untranslated. Translation of
> debug log messages creates an absolutely enourmous pile of ever changing
> work for translators for little to no benefit to end users. I view
> log debug messages as something intended for developers and vendor
> support people and for them it is much better if the log messages
> are in English only.  If I get a bug report from someone who runs
> in a French locale, I'm not going to be able to give them any useful
> assistance if all their debug logs they provide are in French.
>
> IMHO, LOG.error/warn/info can be marked for translation, since those
> are used for scenarios where we are trying to alert the sysadmin to
> something, but LOG.debug should be left untranslated as they are for
> vendors/developers primarily.
>
> In other words, if we remove translation from all LOG.debug() messages,
> I'd be fine with a string freeze on what's left.

Mark had a plan to create two separate translations domains, one with
user-facing messages and one for the rest (including log messages). If
that existed, we could limit the StringFreeze to the user-facing
messages, which would actually encourage complete translations on those.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack