[openstack-dev] Motion on Technical Committee membership for Spring 2013 session

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu Jan 24 21:53:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Chuck Thier <cthier at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with both John and Anne on this issue.  I think it is very
> unfortunate that this issue was only brought up so late in the process
> as to rush what is likely a sub-optimal solution through.  I would
> prefer that the TC endure the "pain" of two extra memebers and use
> that "pain" to push forward a real solution to the problem over the
> next 6 months.
>
> In an ideal world, it would be nice to trust that everyone will do the
> "right" thing and that the "best" people possible will be elected to
> the TC that will adequately represent each project.  The reality is
> that with the proposed option, only members of the largest project(s)
> will get elected, and the view of the TC will continue to narrow
> around the needs of one world view.  What the TC needs more, is a
> diverse set of opinions and views, and I believe the option proposed
> by Anne would provide a much better framework to support that.

As a contributor on a small project, I share this concern. I'm not sure
about the specific categories that Anne proposed, but I feel like we should
have *something* in place to ensure that we have diverse and cross-project
representation -- something more concrete than expecting the votes to just
work out that way.

Doug