[openstack-dev] How to best make User Experience a priority in every project

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Fri Dec 6 14:55:54 UTC 2013

On 2013/06/12 15:16, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org
> <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>> wrote:
>
>     Jaromir Coufal wrote:
>     > [...]
>     > I am not trying to convince anybody here, I accept the decision
>     'no' (at
>     > least for this moment). I just feel that it was not consensus
>     that most
>     > of people thinks that this is nonsense. I don't see any strong
>     reasons
>     > why not. In time, I believe more people will see how important
>     it is and
>     > hopefully OpenStack will recognize UX efforts officially.
>     > [...]
>
>     It's certainly not consensus, and I don't think anybody said this was
>     nonsense. It's just a delicate balance, and trying to find the most
>     sustainable and efficient way to bring UX concerns within
>     projects. Like
>     I said, the last thing we want is a fight between UX folks on one side
>     asking for stuff to get done and on the other side nobody in projects
>     actually caring about getting it done.
>
>     That said, I think you made great arguments for keeping a leg out and
>     organize in a cross-project way. After all we have other projects
>     (like
>     QA) which do that very successfully, so I'm definitely willing to
>     consider UX as a separate program.
>
>     My main concern would be that the UX team is relatively new (the
>     launchpad tracker for example was created on Oct 20) and that we
>     haven't
>     seen you around enough to see how you would interact with projects and
>     get your priorities across. There is no weekly UX team meetings listed
>     on https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings, either.
>
>     Programs are about blessing existing teams and efforts (which already
>     obtain results), *not* to bootstrap new ones. We look into the team's
>     work and results and decide those are essential to the production of
>     OpenStack. So my advice to you would be to organize yourselves as a
>     team, engage with projects, deliver clear results, communicate around
>     those... and then apply again to be a "Program" if you think that's
>     still relevant.

Sure Thierry, it all makes sense and I understand that. I am very happy
to continue in our efforts and that's actually what I wanted to express
that we might ask later.

Only thing what I want to make sure though is that we have enough space
at design summits, but I will revive this topic closer to the summit itself.

> I too would really like you all to organize as a team very similar to
> how the Security team organizes itself - very much like what you are
> doing now.
>
> It's interesting, the Security team ended up with a book sprint that
> produced a book deliverable that is a very valuable piece of
> documentation, and that wasn't a goal going in. So I think that the
> more you look for opportunities for UX across projects the more
> deliverables you could find that we haven't identified yet. So I
> really want to encourage you to keep looking for those areas where we
> have need for good experiences.
>
> Thanks,
> Anne
Thanks Anne, what the security team ended up is all awesome. I am eager
to find out all the areas where we can help and jump in - hopefully we
will get enough resources in time to cover more and more issues.

Cheers
-- Jarda