[openstack-dev] [Nova] New API requirements, review of GCE

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Wed Dec 4 22:53:01 UTC 2013

On 20 November 2013 00:22, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> On 20 November 2013 13:00, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> > So we recently moved devstack gate to do con fig drive instead of
> metadata
> > service, and life was good (no one really noticed). In what ways is
> > configdrive insufficient compared to metadata service? And is that
> something
> > that we should be tackling?
>
> * The metadata service can be trivially updated live - and Heat wants
> to use this to get rid of it's own metadata service... whereas config
> drive requires unplugging the device, updating the data and replugging
> - and thats a bit more invasive.
>
> * Nova baremetal doesn't support config-drive today, and it's an open
> question as to whether we ever will - and if we do we can't do the hot
> unplug thing, so anyone using it would suffer downtime to update data.
>
> * config drive permits no-control-plane-visibility for instances,
> which some secure environments consider to be super important.
>
> So I think we'll have both indefinitely at this point - they serve
> overlapping but differing audiences.
>
> We should be testing both.

Since we've drifted off topic:

Metadata doesn't work with ipv6, because there's no well known ipv6 address
to go talk to (unless someone's made one up since I last looked).  Metadata
doesn't work if you have no IP address (!).  Metadata has certain
limitations with Neutron (you need a router on your network or you get no
data).

I think all the above things are fixable, and the only really concerning
one would be ipv6 + baremetal where apparently we have no solution that
works at present.
--
Ian.